listen to the NBTMusicRadio
iTunes/ TuneIn (for Blackberry/android apps) : NBTMusicRadio
We live in a schizophrenic world baby!
Most people I know do not like change. Routine is their saviour, if it’s Thursday they want sausages and mash for dinner, if it’s Tuesday they want their favourite night time soap/drama and they feel ill at ease if those things don’t happen.
They want the political situation to stay as, far as possible, in that hazy comfort zone of no commitment, no fears. They want their books and stories to follow an orderly simple pattern where the twist comes on the third last page and the hero gets the girl.
And with music it’s even worse.
They want the music of their youth, the sounds they fell in love to, and sound tracked their small adventures. They want the music to be ‘real’ and changes in tempo and structure will be viewed with distrust and even distaste.
They want their musicians to keep to the creative template that made them their first number one hit, and they want the ‘new guys’ to try copying that template as closely as possible.
And then these bright new things come along.
Believing that change is a good thing a damn well necessary thing
Believing they canmake new songs, new sounds, and use new ways to make those sounds.
Who don’t want to sound like anyone but themselves. Who take, steal, admire and covet the old ways but LOVE the new ways, the ways that they are inventing as they go along.
No wonder it’s so hard..
So they need all the support they can get, because it’s a cruel change hating world out there, so we need to get listening, spreading the news, spreading the cultural virus. So that eventually we will live in a musical world where change is embraced not feared.
So if you hear a great new band on the NBTMusicRadio, tell everyone you know, your mom, your uncle, your little brother, let your face book friends know the good news, and if you are a musician yourself, in fact Specially if you are a musician, tell your fans, your band your producers, heck even tell the roadies and the groupies.
Jiving to the past, ecstatically exploring the future.
some 40 or so years ago, right here in Germany, a bunch of bands and musicians started the good fight against what was incredibly popular at the time, a dull sing a long type of music that was the kinda opposite of thought. or dreaming. or creativity. They wanted to make stuff that disturbed and provoked in equal measures.. they hoped i guess to be able to make people awake again..
All these independent souls.. were not a movemnet, tho in the international press they all got lumped together under the crappy title of Krautrock.
and they (bands like Can, faust, Cluster, Kraftwerk, Neu..and so many others) influenced thousands of bands all over the world..
40 or so years later.. you can not find their albums in the main music shops.. you cant see or hear them OR the bands they influenced on the radio.. and the music they fought against.. is STILL the most popular music..
Question:So do we give up..??
Answer: nah just gotta fight harder i guess
While here in Cyber space the choices and adventures are endless outside in the REAL universe, the music channels on TV and radio get more conservative and cynical each passing day. The Stores that sell MOST of us the tunes out here in the non electronic non dream cosmos, cut down on their stock and variety and as on the mainstream media, they only promote or sell music that is either owned or distributed by a few companies staffed by reactionary young men who are always trying to copy the LAST big thing, not look for the next one.
Last Sunday afternoon I watched the NME music channel. Now the magazine ‘’the NME’’ has been going since the 60s I think and has turned generations of people around the world (not just in the UK) into new sounds and new thoughts.
It wrote about bands you, the teenager, wanting MORE out of life, could not see on TV or hear on the radio. It wrote about the OTHER the ALTERNATIVE. So when I saw there was a WHOLE channel available to me here in still chilly Germany, I gasped and cheered and settled down with a glass of coke and a packet of chips and waited to be educated about songs and crazy cool new performers.
What I got instead was (in the two hours I watched) about 60% old stuff from bands from the 1990s, Blur, Oasis, the Manics or even worse Guns and Roses. (dont get me wrong, with the exception of GnR I LOVE those bands, just.. hey give the new kids a chance ) And then the other 40 percent repeated tracks from those bastions of the (not) different, like Muse and the Killers. Fuck even the Spice Girls made an appearance. So the NME failed in the one thing, that before it had always managed to do.. teach me something NEW.
I switched to other programs , other platforms. I saw Bon Jovi, I saw Michael Jackson, I saw plenty of pretty puppets singing songs from Bon Jovi and Michael Jackson, I even saw two bizarre idiots with big hair sing their massive ‘’hit’’ with has been Vanilla Ice. And the oldies kept on coming.
This is a world that has new music by Johanna Newsom, Caribou, Tungg, Jamie Lidell, Efterklang, Dum Dum Girls, Plan B, CocoRosie, Wild Beasts oh I could go on for PAGES.
The only one of the above mentioned that is getting any sort of airplay is Plan B. who has been described by incredibly lazy journalists as being either the British answer to Eminem or the Male Amy Winehouse.. sighs ..all these foolish people scrabbling to assure you that its ok you can listen to him cause its alright he’s not REALLY new.
(He IS pretty cool btw)
SO I guess. For now ignore the ‘’real world’ and ignore those places in the musical part of cyberspace that are tainted by the ‘’real World’’ and would like to sell you their masters' back catalog of AC/DC in new packaging. And be like the writers and artists and performers on these pages.
GO BE CURIOUS.